Armita Geravand: Teenage woman allegedly attacked by Iranian morality police for not carrying headband dies | World Information

A teenage woman who was allegedly attacked by Iranian morality police for not carrying a headband has died, state media has stated.

Armita Geravand, 16, suffered “extreme accidents” after an altercation with the so-called morality police at Shohada station within the Iranian capital Tehran on 1 October, in keeping with human rights organisation Hengaw.

Hengaw stated Miss Geravand was dragged off a practice, with the incident captured on CCTV.

Her case has been likened to that of Mahsa Amini, the 22-year-old girl whose loss of life whereas within the custody of morality police prompted nationwide protests final 12 months.

A picture shared by a rights groups called Hengaw, which they say shows Armita Geravand in hospital. Pic: Hengaw
An image shared by Hengaw, which they are saying exhibits Armita Geravand in hospital. Pic: Hengaw

Beforehand a press release from the Islamic Republic of Iran Information Community had stated Miss Geravand was “brain dead”.

Additional pictures from Hengaw appeared to point out her in a mattress at Fajr Hospital.

There have been claims her dad and mom had been forbidden from posting any footage of her on social media after the incident, or speaking to human rights teams about what occurred.

In a video, shared by state information company IRNA, Miss Geravand’s dad and mom stated she had suffered a drop in blood stress and misplaced her stability, hitting her head. Human rights teams say the assertion was made underneath duress.

Learn extra:
Who was Mahsa Amini?
Jailed Iranian activist gets Nobel Peace Prize
Iran to impose tougher punishments on headscarves

They referred to as for footage from contained in the practice she seems to have been dragged off to be printed.

A video clip shared with state media seems to point out {the teenager} strolling in direction of the practice with two feminine mates. After boarding, one of many ladies is dragged out by passengers.

Sky Information has not been capable of independently confirm the footage.

Masoud Dorosti, head of the Tehran Metro Working Firm, stated the CCTV footage exhibits no signal of battle.

Mahsa Amini
Mahsa Amini

One 12 months on from Mahsa Amini’s loss of life

Miss Geravand’s loss of life comes simply over a 12 months after Ms Amini’s in September 2022.

She was detained by the nation’s morality police on 13 September for allegedly violating its strictly enforced costume code.

The morality police stated she wore her headband too loosely, opposite to Iranian legislation that requires ladies to cowl their hair utterly.

Miss Amini collapsed at a police station and died three days later. Her loss of life triggered nationwide and worldwide demonstrations – with many ladies chopping their hair in protest.

Iranian police say she died of a coronary heart assault and was not mistreated, however her household have solid doubt on that account.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles